An ultra-conservative's views on this and that

15 September 2009

A "Stark" example of elitism

I've followed the rantings and behavior of Rep. Pete Stark (D-CA) off and on for a few years. The latest is an elderly man telling Mr. Stark, with regards to the bill of goods the Democrats are trying to sell the public in the form of health care "reform": "Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining."

To which, classy as always, Stark responded that the old man wasn't worth the urine. Nice way to treat a constituent, Pete.

A brief sojourn over to the Huffington Post told me what I already suspected: Not only were many of the commenters approving of Stark's elitism, they tee-heed about how "cool" and "awesome" it would've been if Stark had actually peed on the constituent. I suppose it's easy to find humor in the matter when one considers anybody with right-leaning political ideology to be subhuman. My God, what the hell's a matter with these people?

Granted, the old man could have been a little less verbally combative with Stark. Then again, Stark has a reputation on the Hill for being a bully. Like most bullies, he threatens from behind false bravado.

As a child, I was picked on bullies from time to time. Every once in a while, the Christian value of "turning the other cheek" that my mother instilled in me would be overridden by a mental shout of "enough is enough!" Said bully would go from yanking me around by my backpack, or trying to trip me, to kissing brick wall or concrete sidewalk. Unfortunately, my timing could have been better, as the teacher would always see my retaliation, but rarely would she see the provocative act.

So I find myself agreeing with the Huff-Post nitwits: Yes, Pete Stark, go ahead: Unzip your fly, whip it out, and let the golden shower fly. Chances are if the old man didn't kick your ass, one of his friends would.

Oh, and a variant of the old man's saying appeared in The Outlaw Josey Wales. The scene involved John Vernon as Fletcher, a Missouri bushwhacker whom was facilitating his men's surrender to the Union at the conclusion of the Civil War. Ironically, he was addressing Senator Lane, a Yankee Senator, played by Frank Schofield. Fletcher protested Senator Lane's use of Kansas Redlegs, the leader of whom he described as a "looter and a pillager". The Redlegs, Fletcher said, were the "worst kind of enemy" the Missouri bushwhackers had. It led to this exchange :
  • Senator: The war's over. Our side won the war. Now we must busy ourselves winning the peace. And Fletcher, there's an old saying: To the victors belong the spoils.
  • Fletcher: There's another old saying, Senator: Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Mr. Stark, you will get your comeuppance. No, unlike Stark, I don't threaten, I'm just offering a warning.

No comments:

Post a Comment