An ultra-conservative's views on this and that

21 September 2009

Finding out through Facebook...

My girlfriend's brother got engaged recently.  Not a big deal, people get engaged all the time.  People get married all the time.  But how often is the would-be groom's sister's boyfriend among the first to find out?  Through Facebook?

On one hand, it's not like I've just met my girlfriend's family.  My girlfriend's mother jokes about me being her favorite son-in-law, much to my girlfriend's chagrin.  But I would've figured my Facebook friend would've told his sister first before announcing it to his Facebook friends.

My Facebook friend, whom I'll call "Fernando" and thank him for the music (I'll admit, I'm a straight male who likes to listen to Abba, I counter it with Rob Zombie, so please don't question my manhood), has been married once before.  Like approximately 50% of the population, he decided he was married to a psychopath.  Like a smaller percentage of those 50%, he was correct in that assessment, as I'm inclined to agree that a woman who piles her ex-husband's clothes in the middle of the living room and sets fire to the pile may indeed have a couple of screws loose.  She subsequently had a child, and everyone on the Fernando's side of the family breathed a sigh of relief when the counting backwards yielded a larger amount of time since the divorce papers were finalized than since the little rug rat was conceived.

Now, it seems, Fernando has decided to marry his current domestic partner, a woman with a kid by another man.  Nothing wrong with that, I wish them all the happiness.  But I doubt happiness is a long-term reality for them.  Fernando sometimes has a short attention span.  I think he wants to experience the normalcy of family life while remaining a non-conformist.  I think once the charm has worn off on taking care of a miniature human being, Fernando's sister will find herself drawing up divorce papers again.

In the past, I've apologized to my girlfriend for being relatively boring, but I think she knows I"m not being sincere.

No comments:

Post a Comment