An ultra-conservative's views on this and that

25 November 2009

Stupid policies enforced by stupid people

So my girlfriend Tawny is looking to get high-speed internet connected at her apartment.  Since she has a wealth of technical support resources in the forms of her father, brother Fernando, and myself, she wanted to save a few bucks and go the route of self-installation.  And let's be realistic here:  Any moron can hook up a cable modem!  But no, because she doesn't have an existing cable TV hookup, she has to shell out an extra $60 for a tech to come out.  There will be three possible outcomes from the visit:
  1. The tech will not need to hook up the cable to the neighborhood box, but will need to perform the mental feat of connecting coaxial and ethernet cable to the back of the modem, authorizing the modem, and working on my girlfriend's personal computer, potentially violating her privacy.
  2. The tech will need to hook up the cable to the neighborhood box and hook up the cable modem, making the $60 charge equivalent to $10 work instead of $5.
  3. The tech will hook up the cable to the neighborhood box, and the modem.  Once authorized, she will tell him his services are no longer required and complete the setup herself.
I did a little digging after my girlfriend was informed that Comcast would be violating her without at least buying her dinner first.  Guess what the comcastspecial.com website says on their FAQ page?  That she's not required to have cable TV in order to get the "self-install" kit!  When I cornered the weasel customer service rep on this little factoid, I was told it was local policy.  That answered satisfied my curiosity, but it didn't please me.

While some might characterize this as "making it personal", I do not:  I've resolved to reciprocate to Comcast's inflexibility on the "professional installation" fee:  I will be discontinuing my cable TV service.  Let's see, they get a one-time $60 fee out of my girlfriend, while I take $50/mo away from them.  I will follow up with a complaint to Comcast corporate, the FCC, and/or public utilities commission.  My father recently punished Verizon for piss-poor service in much the same manner.

UPDATE:  My girlfriend has decided to tell Comcast what to do with their professional installation fee.

No comments:

Post a Comment