An ultra-conservative's views on this and that

20 April 2010

I really do try, people...

As I grow older, it becomes important to me that I make informed decisions, both as a person and in a leadership role in my jobs.

So when I see an article on The Huffington Post about how there still exists pay inequity between men and women, I read it.  My skeptic's radar may go on full blast, but I'll hear what the author has to say.

Unfortunately, it was nothing but a lot of bluster with no supporting factual evidence.  So I had to go and find something to support the author's argument.  What I found was this.  How did they calculate this inequity?  Just as I suspected:  Take the number of men and women in this country, take their wages, and average them on a general gender basis.  Yeah, that's accurate.  What about the relatively new entry by a majority of women into the marketplace?  What about the fact that women remain a minority in many high-paying jobs in engineering, computers, and science?  Or high-risk jobs?

The pay inequity debate often ignores a question I have:  If women are paid less for the same work, why are more women unemployed than men?  A shrewd business owner would employ women if they were cheaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment