An ultra-conservative's views on this and that

16 February 2010

Seemingly just another day for other people...

It was a year ago today, around 1:30 in the morning, when my girlfriend yelled to me from downstairs.  I'll never forget those words:  "Something's wrong with Cosmo!"

I have never run so fast in my life, nor skipped quite so many steps going down the stairs.  It didn't matter how fast I could have run:  It was too late to save him.

Cosmo was quite young when he died, only about two and a half years old.  He'd never had any problems with his health.  He once chewed up a plastic food dish, and it never bothered him.

Despite the cost, I had a necropsy done on Cosmo. I just had to know what had befallen him.  He was always in the best of health.  Bailey, by comparison, caused my girlfriend and me a few sleepless nights at the emergency vet in the first years we had her.  After shedding some unhealthy weight and bonding with Morgan, she's back to an ideal weight and she's learned to pace herself with food.  She has chosen a sedentary lifestyle.  She'll never be an agility star like Cosmo, but she'll always be a cuddler.

But the necropsy demonstrated how little is known of rabbit physiology.  As far as animals go, their bodies are built for breeding more than for individual resilience to disease and injury.  If there is a Heaven, and should I ignore the advice of many whom have suggested my final destination be a little bit warmer, I figure I'll find out what happened to 'mo someday.  Until then, I can only wonder.  And miss my agility star.

As this day draws to a close for me, I reflect on a sad year for Rabbit Agility.  Cosmo, Goldy, Chester, Josephina.  All gone.  And last night, I heard Daisy, one of my former students, has crossed the Rainbow Bridge.  So sad.  And yet, I smile as I think about Dell, the woman who started it all, teaching these former students in the Great Beyond.  No doubt about, Rabbit Agility is probably a big hit in Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment